Difference with Gaussian Filter?
Gaussian is perfectly radial and isotropic, while a binomial filter has more “rectangular” response, filtering less of the diagonals.
A binomial filter approximates a gaussian distribution.
- Performs a smoothing
- Smoothing using an approximation of a Gaussian as the kernel function
- Discrete approximation due to pixels
- The decay of the weights approximates a Gaussian using the coefficients of a Binomial distribution
- Elements of the Pascal’s triangle
So when you apply a gaussian blur, it’s just applying the Binomial Kernel.
Degree of smoothing
- Box filter offers a stronger smoothing than the binomial filter.